Table of Contents
Marjoram is a light green leafy herb popular in Mediterranean cooking and is actually a sub-species of oregano, but with a milder flavor.
What does marjoram taste like?
Marjoram spice has a mildly sweet taste of citrus and pine with sharp, warm, and bitter notes while the aroma is a woody floral perfume. The flavor is similar to oregano and thyme.
Where does marjoram come from?
Native to the Mediterranean and Anatoila and a member of the mint family.
Marjoram or origanum majorana is more generally known as sweet marjoram whilst wild marjoram is oregano.
Similar to oregano and can be used in many of the same recipes in Greek, Middle Eastern, and Italian cooking. Marjoram is a component in the French ‘herbes de provence’ and the Middle Eastern ‘za’atar’.
**Keep in mind that marjoram spice has a light, subtle flavor so add it at the end of cooking to maintain its freshness and aroma.**
Dishes in which marjoram is used include stuffings, stews, eggs, sauces, vegetables, salads, dressings, sausages, teas, meats, fish, and poultry.
- Oregano: oregano is also known as wild marjoram due to their similarities.
- Thyme: a fellow member of the mint family, thyme can be an adequate replacement in many recipes that use marjoram lightly.
- Za’atar: a Levantine spice blend that contains marjoram.
Marjoram Compliments and Pairings
Marjoram pairs well with fresh bright ingredients including butternut, sage, potatoes, peas, beetroot, feta, lemon, garlic, egg, cauliflower, poultry, pork, beef, sweetcorn, mushroom, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, lamb, cheese, pulses, and salad greens.
Marjoram Expiration and Storage
- Fresh: wrap in damp kitchen paper and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Dried: store in an airtight container away from direct light and moisture for two to three years.
Fun Facts About Marjoram
- In Greek mythology it is told that marjoram smells of the goddess Aphrodite.
- There are over 50 types of oregano, marjoram is one variety which explains the confusion on the herbs overlapping similarities.
Popular Marjoram Recipes
- Stuffed mushroom with marjoram crust
- Provencal roasted vegetables
- Marjoram soup
- Sage, marjoram and onion stuffing
- Herb omelet
- German sausage
- Marjoram ciabatta
- Marjoram and mint vinaigrette